Saturday, January 27, 2007

I got a break today

I was in a one on one meeting with my manager yesterday. She mentioned that one of our clients is opening up a new store in Coquitlam in spring of 2007 and we will have to supply temporary workers for the initial set up of the store. It is not my gig to provide them with people because I do only permanent placements. However, I said to her that we have a year to prepare for the project without realizing that we are in 2007 already. She called me a dink for not knowing what year we are in.

I haven't any concept of time in the past few months. I have spend too much time suffering in my life or too much time at work. I don't even know what is what any more. I know what jobs are needed to be done and what client to service. Other than that, my life seems to be a blur. My head isn't really all clear all the time.

i heard on the radio that there is a meditation class at a Buddhist temple in Richmond yesterday. I did some research and went there today. I didn't know what to expect because I have never done anything like that in my life. I got up around 7 am, grabbed some cereal and headed out to the Temple.

I arrived at the Temple 10 minutes before the start of the class. It was foggy this morning and it was a majestic view. I cut through the dense fog and got the meditation hall.

The class started with a meditation walk for about 10 minutes. The walk was in a brisk pace. We had to concentrate on our form and nothing else. We were told not to survey the surrounding. It was nice, despite that I had no idea on whether I was doing it right or not. After the walk, the monk made a loud noise and signaled us to take a seat.

The sit down meditation was 35 minutes. We were instructed to focus on our breathing and nothing else. It was a good exercise as we had to keep our forms. We had to keep back straight. It was a time for us to forget the past, focus on the moment and not to worry about the future. We all had too much in the past to run away from. Yet, most of us can't just in the moment as we cannot control the past and that we do in this moment is more important as it is going to affect the future. The future is not set, but if we do good at the present time, we will be enjoy the fruit in the future.

For 35 minutes, I sat in silent and contemplating about my life. I didn't have a break through in my life, but it was very relaxing. I got home at 1 and I slept for 4 hours. It was a good nap as I felt very rested. I will do that class again. I may even invite a friend or two.

1 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger pilgrimchick said...

It is amazing how philosophies like Buddhism manage to combine the mental, the spiritual, and the physical. The "relaxation" that results is a relaxation of all three elements, and probably many more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home