Monday, October 24, 2005

My life with a Norco VPS

Although I have logged many miles on my mountain bikes, but I may hang up my mountain bike soon. The trails around in Vancouver are not cross country friendky. Most of them are set up with the Freeriders in mind. They are loaded with jumps, drops and narrow logs. I have tried to learn how to ride them in a full suspension Norco VPS for 2 season. I bought elbow pads, shin pads and even a full face helmet. My bike VPS looked like a off road motor cycle and I looked a motorcyclist.

The suspension helped me to ride the differcult terrains. I rode the North Shore Mountains with my brother-in-law a couple of times a month. My skills were improving and I was having fun. The more I was familiar witht he trails, the braver I got. I started to take on more challenges and my fingers were off the brake lever more often. My speed increased.

But I was loosing interset fast.

The bike helped me to head down the hill faster, but I wasn't having fun. It was because I have a pig for a bike. The bike was very heavy and It weighted over 40 pounds. I didn't enjoy the weight and it wasn't a climber.

As much as I enjoy going down hill, I enjoy riding up hills more. I enjoyed the feeling riding out of the saddle. With a light bike and a stiff rear triangle, the bike reacts to the pedal stroke and move forward. It is that simple. But with a stupid VPS, the bike just didn't like to climb. The rear suspension abosrbed the energy. I need a bike that can go up the hill. I can't ride a bike that can't go up the hill.

I sold that bike earlier this year because it was sitting in the garage for over 12 months. It was collecting dust. I sold the bike to a kid for $800.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home